RE: [xmca] signs and tools-for-thought: an analogy?

From: David Williamson Shaffer <dws who-is-at education.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon Sep 10 2007 - 20:21:07 PDT

We all seem to agree, then, and Mike's comment reminds me of an old joke:

"This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are
so steep he can't get out.
"A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, 'Hey you. Can you help me out?'
The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on.
"Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, 'Father, I'm down in this
hole can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in
the hole and moves on
"Then a friend walks by, 'Hey, Joe, it's me can you help me out?' And the
friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, 'Are you stupid? Now we're both down
here.' The friend says, 'Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the
way out.'"

I guess we could be in a hole with worse company than Peirce and Vygotsky
anyway....

It