Re: [xmca] signs and tools-for-thought: an analogy?

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Mon Sep 10 2007 - 19:30:25 PDT

Well I agree with that Mike. In my comment on tools-for-thought, I was
saying that the concept of semiosis was a tool for thought. Obviously, for
Peirce as for Vygotsky, tool and sign are the same thing and both are
material things albeit artefacts.
Andy
At 09:02 AM 10/09/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>I don't know enough about physics except to be a great person to
>demonstrate the
>errors of naive physics folks who are asked to think about where a rock
>will drop
>from a moving airplane or the forces operating on a spring attached to a
>wall and pulled
>by an aging academic.
>
>But vis a vis mediated human activity, my intuitive take on Vygotsky's
>ideas is that human
>thought, in so far as it incorporates the products of prior human actions,
>has a unique structure
>that gives rise to higher psychological functions, an emergent outcome in
>which tool and non-tool
>contributions are both essential and irreducible to "thought" and "tool."
>This may be more Pierce than somebody else, or simply mike cole's
>confusion.
>mike
>
>On 9/10/07, David Williamson Shaffer <dws@education.wisc.edu> wrote:
> >

> > Analogies are always dangerous, of course. (Wasn't it Kundera who said to
> > be
> > careful of metaphors, because a single metaphor can give birth to love?)
> >
> > In any event, in technical terms heat is not Brownian motion, but
> > temperature is. This from wikipedia, for example:
> >
> > "The temperature of a system is defined as simply the average energy of
> > microscopic motions of a single particle in the system per degree of
> > freedom."
> >
> > (For those wondering, heat is the transfer of this energy from one body to
> > another.)
> >
> > Tony is clearly more of a Peirce expert than I, but the idea of a
> > toolforthought is to suggest that thinking is, as he suggests, a tool
> > activity--where signs and physical objects are all tools, and therefore
> > also
> > thoughts, and thinking is an emergent property of the inter-activity of
> > toolforthoughts. That is, as Katie and I suggest, toolforthoughts are the
> > cognitive instantiation of Latour's mutually mediating mediators.
> >
> > Which also suggests at least part of why the idea is so unsettling. It is
> > awkward to conceive of our own experience as the product of a kind of
> > socio-cultural/intellectual Brownian motion.
> >
> > I hope perhaps Jay Lemke and others who are more versed in actually
> > physics
> > than I will weigh in too. Meanwhile, there is a little flash animation of
> > Brownian motion for those who think visually at
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature
> >
> > David

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435, AIM
identity: AndyMarxists mobile 0409 358 651