Re: [xmca] Response to DK about Volition

From: Steve Gabosch <sgabosch who-is-at comcast.net>
Date: Mon Sep 10 2007 - 08:44:02 PDT

Where was I? LOL - good question, Andy - I am sure the molecules and
atoms I am composed of were getting into trouble somewhere or other
over those centuries! Meanwhile, as you point out, there were
ongoing debates over those years during the growth of modern
capitalist society and the dissolution of the old feudal culture over
the relationship of God to nature. What emerged as the mainstream
view, and still is the mainstream view, is the so-called deist
(pronounced dayist) outlook that God originally created nature and
its laws, which more or less independently run on their own. This
view allows modern people to believe in both God and science - which
most do, to one extent or another. In this way, a study of nature
can be both spiritual and empirical.

I personally take the atheist view that God never existed in the
first place. Bacon, although not an atheist, has been called the
father of British materialism. Like you I take inspiration from his
remarkable ideas and writing, which he developed in a time when
materialist ideas were more than just out of favor, they were
dangerous. I would argue that consistent materialism, a view not as
dangerous to espouse in many areas of today's world, can free itself
of any reference to God. However, in trying to be consistent, a
certain symmetry with aspects of consistent idealism can emerge. In
my view, such symmetry is quite different from proximity. However,
those that deny or downplay the historic contradiction between the
idealist and materialist poles in human thinking can miss this
distinction between symmetry and proximity in this historic
relationship. They find themselves noticing certain symmetries and
then lumping the materialists and idealists together in the way
Popper lumped Hegel and Marx together. In your own creative and
interesting way, Andy, I think you are doing something like that in
this discussion - you are creating an amalgamation between the
classical dialectical materialist view of nature, and the religious
view of God. I think you are being very sincere in your views on
this, views which I am not trying to change, just comment on. For my
part, I agree that there are indeed some symmetries, and I think they
would be interesting to explore. Substituting opposing nouns in
sentences is an interesting way to indicate certain linguistic
aspects of this symmetry. But as I see it, the charge of proximity
is unwarranted - dialectical materialist and religious views are
genuinely in dialectical and historical opposition, if one accepts
the historical materialist conception of history.

This, of course, is dialectical materialism commenting on dialectical
materialism. To be sure, there is a certain circularity to a
philosophical position evaluating itself. After all, Marx said to
not believe a what a man says about himself. This is the dilemma of
any philosophical investigation - it can only be done from a specific
philosophical position. All the more reason to make a serious effort
to reveal and critique our claims and maxims as we go. For me, this
is one of the most attractive features of the philosophy founded by
Marx and Engels - it makes every effort to explain, critique and
build on its foundations, observations and reasoning - to make itself
as explicit as possible. This could be considered still another
symmetry with religious doctrine, which can also try to make itself
explicit. But once again, symmetry is not the same thing as
proximity. That it often gets falsely lumped in with religious views
is not a new problem for Marxism to confront.

- Steve