Ford & Forman RE: [xmca] mediational theories of mind: Suggestions requested

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sat Sep 08 2007 - 07:41:12 PDT

This might not help Don in Italy right now, but here's a suggested reading
for teaching on these topics:

Ford, Michael J., and Ellice A. Forman. "Chapter 1: Redefining
Disciplinary Learning in Classroom Contexts." Review of Research in
Education 30, no. 1 (2006): 1-32.

In the past, I've given my students papers representing various
alternative orientations. The Ford & Forman chapter is exceptional, I
think, in its presentation of a history that represents the successive
emergence of approaches, from behavioral to cognitive to what they call
the turn to practice(s) -- which refers to the historical development that
I would characterize as the turn to social ontology.

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, Tony Whitson wrote:

> [...]
> of cognitivism as a superior successor to behaviorism is a narrative that is
> generally taught and learned in our School of Ed, and I suspect not only in
> our place. And, as a matter of historical reality, behaviorism did exercise
> hegemony, as I think cognitivism does now.
>
> When I deal with this in my classes, I stress that of course cognitive
> science does not deny or disparage behavior, or the behavioral science
> approaches to understanding behavior. Nor does social ontology deny or
> disparage cognition, or the cognitive science approaches to understanding
> cognition.
>
> The problem lies in the reductionism whereby cognitivism (i.e., the reductive
> ideology) insists on treating matters that are not just matters of cognition
> as if they are merely cognitive, or can be understood adequately in purely
> cognitive terms. As suggested on http://postcog.net , it seems to me that
> this is what is done, for example, in the "How People Learn" model
> (Bransford, et al.) which has attained a kind of canonical status at our
> place, and I think widely in Education. So, for example, Lave is cited for
> the point that context involves conditions that are consequential for
> cognition. That proposition certainly is implicated in Lave's work, but to
> reduce her theory to that cognitivist plane is a real, limiting distortion,
> IMHO.
>
> On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, Cunningham, Donald James wrote:
>
>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> Thanks for the great reply. I'll have to beg off responding in any depth.
>> I am currently in Italy where the class I am teaching is happening and my
>> precious laptop has just blown up on me. Everything I need to teach is on
>> there!!!! So I am relegated to limited time on public computers with
>> European keyboards.
>>
>> But briefly, I take a more conciliatory approach to theory. I don't see it
>> as a matter of behaviorist hegemony, etc. ANY theory can be misused. I
>> take the theories to be tools or sets of glasses for viewing a situation
>> with each tool having its potentialities and its limitations, each set of
>> glasses brings some things in to focus and blurs or distorts others.
>> Behaviorism was very helpful to me in sorting out my son's episodes of
>> enuresis. It is a good tool for thinking about classroom organization. But
>> behaviorism omits/distorts notions like self agency so other tools, other
>> glasses should be examined as well. So I don't see the historical
>> progression from behaviorism to cognitivism and beyond as an evolutionary
>> one where were are gradually homing in on the one true theory. I see it
>> as a process of discovering more possibilities - which of course makes it
>> harder to know which alternative might be the most useful in a given
>> situation. I believe Giddens called that process "manufacturing
>> uncertainty". I have dedicated my career to creating uncertainty!

>>> film
>>> music
>>> tv
>>> rituals
>>> games
>>>
>>> Starting with early 20th century writers of general familiarity to
>>> members
>>> of this list, I have been thinking about including
>>> such works as Cszikentmihalyi, "meaning of things," Turkle's recent
>>> "evocative objects," and perhaps something on mediated
>>> behavior in large groups such as "the wisdom of crowds."
>>>
>>> Any and all suggestions warmly welcomed. So much going on its hard to
>>> even
>>> think about how to begin to think about this
>>> upcoming fall!!
>>>
>>> mike
>>>

>> Tony Whitson
>> UD School of Education
>> NEWARK DE 19716
>>
>> twhitson@udel.edu
>>

> Tony Whitson
> UD School of Education
> NEWARK DE 19716
>
> twhitson@udel.edu
>
> "those who fail to reread
> are obliged to read the same story everywhere"
> -- Roland Barthes, S/Z (1970)

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716