Re: [xmca] Action Research: Generalisable learning

From: Ana Paula B. R. Cortez <apbrcortez who-is-at yahoo.com.br>
Date: Wed Aug 08 2007 - 18:02:48 PDT

Very interesting, indeed! I personally find this kind of research fascinating, not only because there's an opportunity to look at the school environment being part of it, but also as "an outsider", from a different perspective. I tend to analyse collected data as if the person teaching those lessons were another one, but myself. It's a way of solving teaching-learning practice problems, reflecting upon approaches and methodologies and, above all, finding ways to transform realities. In my opinion, it's a great chance of coming up with alternatives to overcome social barriers (now quoting Kincheloe, 1993. A formação do professor como compromisso político - mapeando o pós-moderno. Porto Alegre: Artes Médicas - sorry, I only have the reference in Portuguese).
  Besides, I include students in the analysis as well: I show them video taped classes for us to debate so that they also get to know a bit about the theory and they can criticize what they see (isn't that our intention to educate students to become critical citizens? So why not actively including them in the study?). In this way, the multiplicity of voices generating conflict and discussion enriches the analysis and expand the activity itself. I mean, in my case, teaching EFL in a Brazilian bilingual school, this is the ultimate opportunity to transform the language as a tool for a result into a tool and result (as defined by Newman and Holzman, 1993. Vygotsky - Revolutionary Scientist).
  Ana

Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> escreveu:
  This is an ongoing discussion the the action research list that ought to be
of interest to several of us.
mike