RE: [xmca] Emotion at Work

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 00:38:40 PDT

That's fascinating Helena. I feel I've got to know you for the first time.
Thank you.

Just to clarify: you are saying that conflict (interpreted as conflict
between activity systems, endowing actions with conflicted motivations,
significance, etc.) is *the key* fact about emotion. yes? Would you go any
further than this? Or is this too narrow?

Andy
At 07:04 PM 3/08/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello -- I'll try to respond to Wolff-Michael, Andy and Paul all together,
>since all three are picking up on my claim that two, not one activity
>systems are taking place in the fish hatchery where the employees that
>Wolf-Michael observed are working. I especially want to reply to Andy's
>question, "If someone were to deny that, say, earning and living and
>producing a product, were two different activity systems, how would you go
>about justifying that?"
>
>It has to do with what you're trying to do, what you need the theory to be
>able to show or explain.
>
>Wolff-Michael's discussion article is an effort to enrich and expand the
>theory itself, and I thank him for doing that. He is writing "as part of
>an effort to develop third-generation-historical activity theory," and to
>incorporate emotion, motivation and identity into that theory. If you
>picture his audience, he's speaking to other researchers and the academic
>community generally. His data contributes to this effort.
>
>I'm dealing with a different problem. I'm trying to explain something that
>is going on in my classes. However, I can't do it without ALSO speaking
>to the same audience as Wolff-Michael and engaging with theory. This is
>because theory is an indispensable tool for successful practice. But I'm
>trying to answer the question, "How do we explain the intense emotion with
>which the learning produced at work is charged?"
>
>In my job as a labor educator for the University of Illinois, I teach
>people about work from the point of view of workers. This means everything
>from labor history, labor law, basics of representation and bargaining to
>job design, including safety. Just as in any teaching, I have to find out
>what my students, most of whom are working adults, already know in order
>to figure out how and what to teach them. This is axiomatic in teaching
>kids and undergraduates -- you build on prior knowledge, right? But when I
>start to investigate what my adult students know, I find it charged with
>strong -- sometimes extreme -- emotion. It has other characteristics as
>well, but the one that surfaces immediately in the classroom is this
>emotion. It can run the gamut from despair to pride to gratitude to
>bitterness. Whatever it is, that's what a teacher has to build on. For my
>practice as a teacher, I need theory that can account for this. As
>Wolff-Michael shows, this emotion is integral to the cognitive activity
>going on. The cognitive activity is not "cool," it's hot. Where does this
>emotion come from? Thus my investment in seeing CHAT developed to account
>for emotion.
>
>Sociocultural learning theory generally assumes that social context has a
>powerful, if not fully determinative impact on learning. The Engestrom
>model -- the famous triangle -- gives us a representation of what we mean
>by "social context." Andy, since you ask about "unit of analysis," I'll
> [...]

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435, AIM
identity: AndyMarxists mobile 0409 358 651