Re: [xmca] Banana Mediated Emotions

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 08:46:55 PDT

David and Michael--

1) David; I need to re-read the Gray et al "integration of emotion" paper
for the complexity you point to. What most interested me in it was the idea
of behavioral/anatomical/functional evidence to support the idea that " A
functional integration of emotion and cognition would allow the goal
directed control of behavior to depend upon the emotional context.
Goal-directed behavior is a complex control function mediated neurally by
prefrontal cortex and involves higher cognitive processes...... I am not
sure I am on the same page concerning what they believe higher cog processes
to be, but that will take more reading to determine.

I have also encountered some interesting developmental work along these
lines but have not had time to track it further. The general line of
arguments seems to be carrying on the program that LSV was gesturing toward.

2. All. I have just, after an inexcusable oversight lasting more than a
decade, found
Herb Clark's book, *Using Language*. Does anyone know it? It starts by
arguing that
language arises from pre-linguistic joint activity. In fact, the entire
first chapter is about
joint activity. I have just started it, but it reads very much as is it had
been written by
Mescheryakov thus far. Does anyone know this work? Am I on the right track??
mike