Re: [xmca] Actants, Greimas, Levi-Strauss

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Mon Jul 09 2007 - 17:05:00 PDT

Thanks, Martin,

It's helpful to learn that Latour draws Greimas into this ontological
dimension--and that he recognizes this as a mediation (deformation?).

Interesting that you would bring up Garfinkel in this connection. I've
just been informed by amazon.com that his Sociology of Information is
supposed to be shipped tomorrow (six months after the announced date for
this first-time publication of the book). WorldCat
( http://worldcat.org/oclc/71285846 )
shows it's listed now in only four library catalogues (2 UK + Taiwan +
Singapore) but I don't know if any of them have it physically yet. It's
#2,139,034 in sales on amazon.US, so maybe I am the first purchaser. Poor
Garfinkel has the tough luck of publishing the same time as the last
volume in the Harry Potter series. Maybe he'll have more luck with the
movie version.
   I was not going to mention the book here before I actually had a chance
to look it over, but since you brought it up ...
   Among other interests, I expect I'll get fresh insights bearing on the
info-mation vs. in-formation issue.

I don't know if it is "too great a leap," but the boxing discussion
certainly is interesting. One thing it brought to mind is the master/slave
dialectic in Hegel. Of course we mainly think of this in terms of two
human combatants, but the slave's freedom emerges partly from sensual
engagement with the material world through labor. Maybe this drama should
be retold with more attention to elements of the boxer's story. (FWIW,
I've also wondered about considering the struggle of Anne Frank and her
tutor in this connection.)

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716