Re: [xmca] Tools, thought, & signs (Bruner, Peirce, Newton)

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sun Jul 08 2007 - 17:48:11 PDT

Mike,
I for one would be extremely interested in seeing the article you did with
Peg Griffin. Your brief representation of the article is very interesting.
For me, it points to what I see as a need to recover the original sense of
"information" vs. the sense it has now in "the information age" -- maybe
since the dawn of "cybernetics."

I've taken to using "in-formation" as distinct from "info-mation".
Info-mation is a kind of "stuff" that can be stored, retrieved,
communicated, etc. (as in the positivist ideology I write about in the
silhouette paper linked from the bottom of the Bruner/Newton post).
In-formation has to do with formation. For example, This xmca community
(and its members) is informed by LSV insofar as his ideas participate in
the formation of our thinking and discourse. The Oxford English Dictionary
shows this sense to have prevailed long before the emergence of the
"info-mation" sense; but nowadays it seems only the latter has survived.

(To connect with Peirce's signs: meaning is not something that can be
"contained" in words, etc. as info-mation; rather, meaning is what words
do, as participating in the formation of emergent meaning (meaning as a
verb, not as a noun).

Since curriculum is the course of experience in which human being takes
form (or, more briefly, the course of formative experience), the sense of
information as formation is essential, I think, to a restoration of
curriculum consciousness, as opposed to a "cognitivist" view of learning
as production of cogntitive constructs through assembly/reassemply of
info-mation.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716