Re: [xmca] Looking forward by looking back, sort of.

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jul 03 2007 - 19:41:51 PDT

Martin,

  Perhaps I didn't express myself quite clearly. I didn't mean to imply that Merleau-Ponty identified consciousness with the body but that his phenomenology of the experience of embodiment is doesn't involve the same type of abstractions as found in Sartre and Heidegger. But I admit that I haven't read Merleau-Ponty in a long time and haven't even heard anyone else talk about him for even longer. I'm remembering Merleau-Ponty's comments about Claude Levi-Strauss--the construction of categories out of the concrete, the good to think with, which M-P praised highly. That's the sense I meant, M-P's phenomenological descriptions are so unlike Sartre's in which the for-itself (s aa category for which I can think of no counterpart in M-P's philosopy) encounters a material reality that is ultimately intert. (something he tried to overcome perhaps in the Critique).

  As to Heidegger, it isn't an embodied living agent, a sexual, emotional, and constantly changing agents. that finds itself already thrown into the world, but an abstracted subject, genderless, etc., concerned with it's own existence, but an abstract existence, that he's describing despite the fact that he might be attempting otherwise.

  Paul

Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu> wrote:
  Paul,

I'm going to disagree somewhat with your characterizations here. On the one
hand, I don't think Merleau-Ponty "locates the source of consciousness" in
the body. Descartes thought that consciousness was 'in' the body, no?
Merleau-Ponty's project is more radical than that: consciousness is a
structure of behavior - of the body in the world. And in a real sense for
him the body replaces talk of consciousness - certainly any 'constituting'
consciousness.

On the other hand, Heidegger's Dasein is certainly not an "abstracted
experience." Dasein is concrete practical activity, concerned engagement in
a public world of equipment. Heidegger's criticism of Husserl, and indeed of
most of the history of philosophy, was precisely that it had mistakenly
given priority to detached, abstracted experience ('present-at-hand' in
Heidegger's terminology).

Martin