Re: [xmca] the problem with expert vs novice

From: Jay Lemke <jaylemke who-is-at umich.edu>
Date: Mon Jul 02 2007 - 13:06:33 PDT

Yes, it's interesting what 'experts' can learn from novices, or from
teaching novices, and part of my point, I suppose, is that seen as a
system, these are not so different. In the oldtimer-newcomer
relationship, both develop. Maybe these other names fit better.

JAY.

At 11:45 AM 7/2/2007, you wrote:
>Not sure if this is completely relevant but it came up when I read
>Jay's response.
>
>Something that has always struck me about this concept is how we
>tend forget that "novices" bring to their "experts" a wide array of
>knowledges & actions. The expert's role is to reframe,
>recontextualize, or even verify it. I have run into this issue when
>teaching some of my friends to brew beer. Some of them seem to know
>more about the process than I do, though they have never seen the
>actions that make it up; while others have never boiled water before.
>
>andy

Jay Lemke
Professor
University of Michigan