RE: [xmca] Problem solving and expertise

From: Cunningham, Donald James <cunningh who-is-at indiana.edu>
Date: Sun Jul 01 2007 - 10:38:45 PDT

Email really isn't my medium. I like to circle an issue, try out some
things and see if I can better understand it. As a consequence I
generally appear obtuse and esoteric. I'm better (I think) across a
table using conversation mediated by good red wine.

The reason I put up the video was to introduce a more humble example
than flying a plane or playing a computer game, one that did not involve
technology in the narrow sense that word is often used. Technology is
also "techniques" as in folding a shirt. The rhetorical aspects of a
YouTube video aside, I was trying to see if peoples' conception of
expertise would extend to folding shirts. See, I don't think it is
particularly helpful to invoke the notion of expertise. Michael G, you
know Dewey very well so perhaps you can critique this idea for me. You
know of Dewey's distinction between self-action, interaction and
transaction. From memory (I don't have _Knowing and the Known_ at hand),
self-action is when an action is accounted for by a characteristic of an
individual, either some stable attribute like intelligence or something
acquired like knowledge and information. So we could say that expertise
is some stable characteristic of an individual. Interactional introduces
the notion of individual entities in some causal relationship, so we
could talk about expertise as related to context or domain. We're not an
expert in general, only with respect to something else to which we are
connected. Like you are an expert on Dewey, but not folding shirts.
Transactional, as I understand it, says that an activity is a function
of a whole host, a veritable cloud of co-constraints, constructions,
etc. that are mutually emergent, not independent. So, expertise,
whatever it is, would be an emergent property of a "situation" (another
of Dewey's terms that I can probably misrepresent!). Expertise emerges
from the activity, the situation, from the interplay of a large number
of potentially relevant factors. It is not simply a case of some
acquired information brought to bear in a give context (two already
independently existing things), but the action itself.

As I said, this is all emergent in me as well and I may not be
explaining it very well. It does seem to me that there are some models
that move away from self action and interaction and move toward
transaction. Lave and Wenger's notion of participation, for example. No
need to posit something like an independent expertise to describe the
participation of a member of a community. Look at the participation!
Dynamic systems theory (e.g., Maturana and Varela) talks about
structural coupling and effective action. Semiotics isn't really about
signs, it is about semiosis, the action of signs. Peirce once said
something to the effect that nothing is a sign unless it is in an act of
semiosis. Of course we do build up structures of signs, and here the
term umwelt is much superior to context and environment. An umwelt is
co-determined, unique for everyone, but compatible across those who
share common experiences or communicate .

I have to stop for a few days while I tend to the class I am teaching
on-line (my last for Indiana U.!). Sorry to hit and run.

And I have to bow out for a while until I get some work done on the
class I am teaching this summer (my last for Indiana U.!).

Don Cunningham

Indiana University

Ancora Imparo!