Recognizing real symmetry Re: [xmca] Copernicus, Darwin and Bohr

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sat Jun 30 2007 - 18:13:14 PDT

Just a quick note, since I've been posting skeptically on symmetry, to say
I do see it as a valuable corrective for understanding some
interrelationships.

The clearest example in my experience is when I started using speech
recognition software. They say that newer versions don't require the same
kind of "training," but when I started, before you could just start
talking into a microphone and seeing your words spelled out on the screen,
you first had to read some scripts to "train the software" in recognizing
your personal speech, with your hardware (microphone, sound card, etc.).

Although all the instructions use a rhetoric of the person "training" the
software, it's really an interesting dynamic in which the person is being
trained by the software into how to speak (speed, diction, pauses, etc.)
to achieve accurate recognition. So the program and the person actually
are training each other, quite symmetrically.

Just a useful example, or so it seems to me.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716

twhitson@udel.edu