Re: [xmca] a few small housekeeping issues

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Sat Jun 30 2007 - 12:06:40 PDT

Mike,
to me it makes a difference if you do philosophy, psychology, or
sociology by REIFYING common sense, or if you take the cultural-
historical route and use concepts and categories that make sense on
cultural-historical grounds. It's part of an agenda that in
psychology, Klaus Holzkamp was attempting to realize---as a good
student of Leont'ev's---and that you also find in Bourdieu, who, in
his Chicago workshop, teaches us to enact critical doubt with respect
to received concepts, which by and large are common sense, ideology,
etc. Dorothy Smith (feminist sociologist, Marxist), too, asks us to
radically interrogate concepts because of the ruling relations that
are embodied in them and the ruling relations that brought them forth.

It matters to me whether philosophy, psychology, or sociology I do
are critical, and possible. I cannot begin a philosophy with "I",
"Self," or "Being" if on the other hand I also state that these are
CONSTRUCTED and that there is a subject constructing them... Those
concerned with first philosophy think about how we (humanity) have
begun to theorize and philosophize, and how we have to think, for
example, the relation between individual and collective.

Thus I see in Jean-Luc Nancy's work a much better solution for the
relation between the individual and collective than what I see
coming from much of the literature in our field. His notion of being
s Being singular plural makes the individual and collective co-
constitutive, there is no possibility therefore for either
reduction----to the individual or the collective. Sometimes we see
people interpret Vygotsky as saying that there is something
constructed interindividually and which then is transferred to be
constructed intraindividually. Just think for a second, a child
participating in some practice is ENACTING this practice, thus it is
already WITHIN the child----if you want to maintain the inside/
outside distinction. (BTW, recent neuroscientific work on mirror
neurons, their genesis and role in recognition of actions of others
seem to support precisely this point, and I think the work McClelland
and his team did concerning the relation between recognition and
production of /l/ and /r/ on the part of Asian speakers further
underscores this.)

It makes no sense to me to cite Alexander Meshcheryakov and not talk
about the first human beings, who didn't have someone like him and
his team around to become human, without having a framework that
allows for anthropogenesis. The trouble with Heidegger, as with much
of Husserl, is their interiority, reproduced in constructivism, which
does not take into account the Other as condition for the self.
Conversely, those who cite Meshcheryakov or Vygotsky on the role of
the other do not take into account the constitutive role of the
individual when it comes to the other.

Anyway, so it does matter if education, philosophy, psychology, or
sociology want to be truly self-critical sciences rather than just
institutions that reify common sense and ideology.

Cheers,

Michael