Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: [xmca] Copernicus, Darwinand Bohr

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Thu Jun 28 2007 - 13:16:03 PDT

Michael,

My reading of Heidegger differs from yours. I see him as articulating one of
the first non-essentialist ontologies, in which historical epochs involve
different ways of being. His focus on being-in-the-world, for example,
rejects any essentialist characterization of what it is to be human. Humans
are constituted, and constitute themselves, in terms (actually, in
practices) provided by a specific contextual milieu. This specific way of
being human he referred to as 'ontic.' The 'difference' between beings and
being was 'ontological,' to be found in all times and cultures. Heidegger
has been criticized (by Derrida and others), for this 'onto-theo-logical'
analysis, and in his later work he abandoned the effort to specify such
existential structures, opting instead to describe the particular, and
distinct, relations between 'world' and 'thing' in different epochs.

It's a bit dated, but I have a simple intro to heidegger on my web pages
<http://www.mathcs.duq.edu/~packer/IR/IRphil.html>

For much more detail, Bert Dreyfus' pages are the place to go:
<http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~hdreyfus/html/papers.html>

Martin