Re: [xmca] Art and Answerability

From: Mark Chen <markchen who-is-at u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue Jun 26 2007 - 00:40:45 PDT

Hi!

That is fascinating stuff about Korean stories, answerability, and
Blizzard's games! Here're some really quick things I thought about
immediately after reading it:

1. I agree that World of Warcraft (WoW) and Starcraft present a limited
model for the types of questions/actions/behaviors players can take. (It
should be noted that WoW is very different than the other Warcraft games
which are all similar to Starcraft, so maybe you're not talking about WoW
but about Warcraft games before WoW...)

2. I think WoW, as conceived by the developers, can be likened to mass
consumer culture in that it suggests one way of playing/being and assumes
players will play a certain way (loot centric, individual benefit, rational
Western argumentation, etc.)... how does one find space for subversion,
opposition, and social change within this dominant culture? Does it help us
look at how people deal with these issues in off-screen life?

3. Even so, emergent behavior happens locally out of particular player
communities that might have completely different values as what is
represented in the game system. An example I've seen is with the raid group
I participate in that is focused on camaraderie and teamwork rather than the
game-defined end-game goals. It's possible, then, that WoW and virtual
culture, in general, has enough diversity and critical mass of players to
allow spaces for struggle. The things people are asking/learning is not of
the system but of the community/culture around the system. (Just look at
the craziness of LOLcats, the whole slew of strategy and lore websites,
posts on Terra Nova about WoW-nnui, etc. to see how the culture around WoW
is way more complex than just the game system itself.) All sorts of
questions arise, not just the simple ones.

4. Some computer and video games are not as limiting as WoW and Starcraft...
c.f., single-player RPGs (like Knights of the Old Republic and Planescape:
Torment) where players are asked to make moral and ethical decisions that
affect the narrative. I'd love to see MMOGs take a cue from these
single-player games and actually give players interesting non-efficiency
based choices.

5. To get back to computers as tools/autonomous agents, I think its only a
matter of time when systems emerge that continually learn and, like people,
have different identities for different situations. (Wikipedia is a pretty
powerful demonstration of a dynamic, collaborative knowledge system; imagine
a similar tool that not only holds knowledge but also learns processes for
applying knowledge.)

6. Sounds to me like the schemas in your description did not change. What
would happen if a computer's schemas changed from continual feedback given
by a collective or if the schemas were fuzzy or relational rather than
hard-coded? (Also, the idea of schemas again reminds me of Bogost's unit
operations...)

7. I think (or maybe I just hope) Blizzard's games (and therefore its
concept of player communities) will be superseded by those that encourage
the asking of process and metaprocess questions. Though I would still like
to emphasize that player groups are highly diverse and may not reflect the
limits placed by the game system.

8. A computer schema that could continually adapt and that learned how to
play one of these newer games might see nuance. Or no?

mark

On 6/25/07, David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We¡¯re doing two kinds of work on play this summer, and both involve
> ¡°answerability¡±. First of all, there¡¯s the following very simple ¡°volleyball
> game¡±:
>
> A: How are you?
> B: How am I? Fine!
> A: Fine? You look terrible.
> B: Terrible? But '.
> Etc.
>
> Each side has to repeat what the last side said with an UP intonation
> and then add a comment which is then questioned. When one team ¡°drops the
> ball¡± the other side gets a point and then serves.
>
> We¡¯re going to study the GESTURES that children use when they play this
> game. Some of these gestures are what we call NON-VOLITIONAL (that is, they
> are not particularly conscious and they appear to be part of a word search
> or some other form of self regulation rather than intended to supplement
> verbal communication). Some of the gestures appear to be VOLITIONAL (that
> is, they serve to emphasize a point, whether they are beating a stress or
> indicating an intonation contour or pointing to emphasize ¡°you¡±. The
> hypothesis is that as children gain control of the verbal language, the
> non-volitional gestures will die away and the volitional gestures will
> exhibit a closer coordination with the language.
>
> You can see that this type of game would be very difficult to do with
> (for example) Computer Mediated Communication even using real-time
> video-equipped chat rooms. Actually, one of my grads attempted to do this
> last year and failed miserably because of technical problems?an ENORMOUS
> amount of the ¡°CMC¡± was concerned with the technical channels of
> communication (also true on XMCA of late, alas!)
>
> The second kind of work we¡¯re doing is on story-telling with three and
> five-year-olds. We¡¯re using several versions of a traditional Korean story
> with the following questions, loosely adapted from Bruner/Cazden/Mehan'.
>
> a) Look! Listen! (imperatives)
> b) What¡¯s this? Who is this? Where is this? (¡°Product¡± questions)
> c) What is he doing? What is he thinking? How is he feeling? Is he happy
> or sad? What is he saying? (¡°Process¡± questions)
> d) Why? What makes you say that? How do you know? What makes you think
> that? (¡°Metaprocess¡± questions)
>
> Obviously, when you have mythical monsters, b) becomes less answerable,
> and when you have magic c) becomes less answerable. But our hypothesis is
> that d) questions are only answerable in versions of the story which are
> fairly realistic, fairly coherent, and have a fairly strong moral purpose.
>
> Of course, one can do a great deal of research on computer games (and Jay
> certainly has done, on the strength of his recent presentation at AAAL) and
> find counterexamples (for counter-example, the vicarious homosexual
> fantasies based on Harry Potter written by Japanese schoolgirls, which Jay
> presented).
>
> But for most young Koreans, computer games mean the products of
> [...]

Mark Chen | grad student | games researcher/designer | tech instructor | U
of Washington
http://markdangerchen.wordpress.com/