RE: [xmca] Copernicus, Darwin and Bohr

From: Eirik Knutsson <eikn6681 who-is-at student.su.se>
Date: Mon Jun 25 2007 - 15:58:19 PDT

There are, of course, several humanisms:

“... the civic humanism of the quattrocento Italian city-states, the Protestant
humanism of sixteenth-century northern Europe, the rationalistic humanism that
attended at the revolutions of enlightened modernity, and the romantic and
positivistic humanisms through which the European bourgeoisies established
their hegemony over it, the revolutionary humanism that shook the world and the
liberal humanism that sought to tame it, the humanism of the Nazis and the
humanism of their victims and opponents, the antihumanist humanism of Heidegger
and the humanist antihumanism of Foucault and Althusser – are not reducible to
one, or even to a single line or pattern. Each has its distinctive historical
curve, its particular discursive poetics, its own problematic scansion of the
human. Each seeks, as all discourses must, to impose its own answer to the
question of ‘which is to be master’.”
(Davies, Tony. Humanism. Florence, KY, USA: Routledge, 1996:130-131).

E.