RE: [xmca] Copernicus, Darwin and Bohr

From: Michael Glassman <MGlassman who-is-at ehe.osu.edu>
Date: Mon Jun 25 2007 - 09:25:18 PDT

David and Erik,

This won't be a long message because basically none of my messages ever seem to get through. But while it is true the communitarian aspects of the evolving Russian society (I think very much influenced by Tolstoy's philosophy - at least among intellectuals), along with the types of large, barren landscapes many Russian naturalists worked within, affected the Russian view of Darwin, I would argue with the idea that there was not that much understanding of Darwin's mechanisms. If you read Petr Kropotkin's book on Mutual Aid I think he had a really good understanding of Darwin - Kropotkin was just looking to emphasize different issues, adaptation over natural selection, and natural selection when it existed at the cross species level rather than within species level.

While Darwin was certainly influenced by Malthus, his ideas on adaptation took his theory off in another direction. so it seems to me you have two major Darwinian points, natural selection and adaptation. Which should be emphasized was a tremendous argument over the late 19th century played out in the pages of the journal 20th century. In England Darwin's theory took a distinct Malthusian turn, it is true. But I think much of that has to do with the belief system of Huxley, "Darwin's bulldog" who was the actual person pushing evolutionary ideas in to mainstream society. There was also the need of Darwinism to provide a parallel idea to religion's "Divine Right of Kings" if it was going to have any success against religion. The role Darwin played in this emphasis is I think up for some debate. (I remember in an article I wrote about Kropotkin I said that Darwin my not have been responsible for the strong Malthusian emphasis of his theory, and a reviewer became upset saying everybody wants to protect "Saint Darwin).

As far as survival of the fittest, I think accordning to Gould at least Darwin really didn't like it. He did use it a few times near the end of his career, but that may have been because everybody was using it, or the influence of Huxley, or both.

Anyway, Kropotkin was an extraordinary thinker - also a leading anarchist philosopher (I never really knew what anarchism was, or how it played in to evolution before I read him), and a great magician.

Michael