Is there a Ph.D. in "science" Re: [xmca] Fwd: New Degree Programs Oxford

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 08:40:31 PDT

Mike's post reminds me of a question I've had reason to ask lately:

Does anybody know of anyplace that offers a Ph.D. in "Science" (rather
than, say, Biology, Chemistry, Bio-Chem, etc.)?

Background for the question:
In the US, recent conflicts over teaching evolution have centered on the
right way to define "science." For example, until after the most recent
elections, the State School Board in Kansas changed the definition of
"Science" in their "Science" standards so that "science" in Kansas was not
limited to seeking explanations based on natural principles (i.e.,
supernatural explanations were to be permissable in "science").

These are the terms in which the conflict still continues, with advocates
of "Intelligent Design" (including Steve Fuller, BTW), arguing that the
groundrules and definition of science should be changed so as not to
exclude the supernatural.

While others are debating this, I want to ask -- from a curriculum
perspective -- if there is really such a thing as "science" in the first
place. There is an institutionalized inquiring social enterprise called
"Biology" and there is another one called "Economics"; but is there really
such a thing as "science" as such, or is that just an umbrella terms for
an array of diverse enterprises that may share some things in common?

I have no doubt that there are natural sciences that have in common a
defining purpose of seeking naturalistic explanations. Whether or not
somebody comes up with some philosophic argument or definition by which
Intelligent Design meets criteria for being called a "science" (or some
kind of Wissenschaft), it would still be something different from the
essentially naturalistic natural science disciplines that comprise our
"science" curriculum in the US.

My point is not to suggest openness to the ID argument for redefining
science. What I'm suggesting is that this whole question is irrelevant to
the curriculum questions at issue. If curriculum consists of the course of
learning experience in which human formation occurs through Legitimate
Peripheral Participation (leading to more full participation) in
Activities or Practices of actual communities or social enterprises, then
it is the actual practices of actual communities who do biology, etc. --
including transformative practices such as those featured in work by
Latour, etc. on innovation -- that would be the practices of interest for
curriculum. The practices of Biology are those of naturalistic natural
science and, simply as an empirical (rather than a definitional) matter,
these do not include the discourses and practices of the Intelligent
Design Community. Whether ID should be a subject in the curriculum could
be another question; but it would not belong within the subject of Biology
-- for reasons that have nothing to do with the war over abstract
definitions of what is and is not "science."

What do you think?

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Mike Cole wrote:

> *Announcing two new degree programs at University of Oxford that are
> relevant to those interested in cognition and religion.*
>
> *Please pass on to interested students (or colleagues who might have
> interested students).*
>
> *Thanks,*
>
> *Justin Barrett*
>
> * *
>
> *ICEA MSc *
>
> What makes us human? What makes culture possible? The University of
> Oxford's new Institute for Cognitive & Evolutionary Anthropology announces a
> new 12 month MSc degree to commence in October 2007. This program in "Human
> Biology" explores human thought, behaviour, and culture from the
> perspectives of the evolutionary and cognitive sciences. Degree candidates
> will read in primate behavioral ecology, human evolution (with a behavioral
> ecology emphasis), mind and culture, and quantitative methods in the human
> sciences; and complete a supervised 10,000 word dissertation. Program staff
> includes Professor Robin Dunbar, Professor Harvey Whitehouse, and Dr. Justin
> Barrett. Additional information about the course and how to apply is
> available at http://www.isca.ox.ac.uk/admissions/how_to_apply.shtml.
> Applications for the 2007-2008 year will be accepted until July 26, 2007.
>
> *ICEA DPhil *
>
> How can cognitive or evolutionary insights help explain patterns in cultural
> expression? The University of Oxford's new Institute for Cognitive &
> Evolutionary Anthropology announces a new 3 year DPhil degree to commence in
> October 2007. This research program offers the opportunity to explore human
> thought, behaviour, and culture from the perspectives of the evolutionary
> and cognitive sciences. Those who already have an appropriate graduate
> degree in a related area (e.g., experimental psychology, anthropology,
> evolution) may apply as Probationer Research Students (PRS) in the first
> instance; they may nonetheless subsequently be advised that one of the
> master's degrees may be more suitable for them to start with. Program staff
> includes Professor Robin Dunbar, Professor Harvey Whitehouse, and Dr. Justin
> Barrett. Additional information about how to apply is available at
> http://www.isca.ox.ac.uk/admissions/how_to_apply.shtml. Applications for
> the 2007-2008 year will be accepted until July 26, 2007.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716

twhitson@udel.edu