Re: [xmca] Continued Discussion of bees, words, and thoughts

From: Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 11:26:08 PDT

Shalom hevre :)

It's really nice to see the reference to texts in Hebrew and, generally,
Jewish cultural context as related to Vygotsky. One suggestion though: I
believe, one should not overestimate Vygotsky's Jewish roots in our
analysis of this text, particularly, the poetical quote discussed.

I just want to underline that the text at stake is that of Gumilev,
Nikolai Stepanovich, but not Mandel'shtam who, indeed, "was a Jew too".
Furhtermore, the original text of Gumilev's poem quoted by LSV (and I
guess LSV meant that HIS reader was familiar with the poem and would
recognize it immediately) did have references to the Old Testament history
(see first verse and passim). However, it did also most explicitely refer
to the New Testament:

But we have lost within the dark oblivion
The lucid truth amidst our earthly lot,
For in the Gospel, that by John was given,
It was stated that the Word was God
(transl. Shaumyan; http://www.gumilev.ru/main.phtml?aid=5000957 )

Particularly, I liked Bella's comment about 'davar' being in Hebrew both
"word" and "thing". However, one should keep in mind that this is a direct
reference to the Gospel and reflects, therefore, totally Christian
interpretation of "what was at the beginning". That is, in "In the
beginning was the Word..." rather than "In the beginning God created the
heaven and the earth...", or in the always alive words in dead--and
reborn:)--languages "in arxe en hoLogos", or "bereishit haja haDavar",
rather than "bereishit bara Elohim at haShamajim veet haAretz".

Just a remark.