[xmca] Gumilev and the Bees

From: David Kellogg <vaughndogblack who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 20:15:10 PDT

Minick's translation is actually not grammatical in English, because he uses "as" and "so do" which suggests a clausal comparison:

  As I lived
  So I die

  Minick writes this:

  And as the bees which have sunk into their silent Yule season
  So do dead words sink.

  Which is the equivalent of:

  AS I who have lived
  So I die

  What he apparently means is this:

  And as the bees in their silent Yule season have sunk
  So dead words sink

  Or:

  And as the bees in their silent Yule season sink
  So do dead words (sink).

  Or:

  And like bees which sink into their silent Yule season
  Dead words sink

  But no matter how we translate the words, we will need TWO typos ("have sunk" for "have stunk" and "sink" for "stink"), not one!

  If the 1934 edition of Thinking and Speech has the version that the 1982 version has, then it looks like Vygotsky did not try to disguise the poem and he was not privy to other poems.

  Maybe Minick was getting tired and sinking into his Yule season!

  David Kellogg
  Seoul National University of Education