Re: [xmca] 'Psychology of Art' and 'Literature and Revolution' (Gumilev, The Word: "bees" quotation)

From: Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 15:12:33 PDT

Perhaps, one of the places where Kozulin's (1986)
translation of LSV's 'Thought and Language'
surpasses Minick's (1987) translation of LSV's
'Thinking and Speech' :) --

is exaclty the quotation on the penultimate page
(pp. 255 & 284 respectively):

And as the bees which have sunk into their silent
Yule season,
So do dead words sink.

The two lines are taken from N. Gumilev's 'The
Word' (Slovo), for the full text in Russian see
http://www.gumilev.ru/main.phtml?aid=5000400 ;
consider also the two English (
http://www.gumilev.ru/main.phtml?aid=5000955 &
http://www.gumilev.ru/main.phtml?aid=5000957 ), a
German (
http://www.gumilev.ru/main.phtml?aid=5001020 ),
as well as six other translations into a number
of European languages available.

As we can see, closer to the original is
Kozulin's version (1986):

... and like bees in the deserted hive
The dead words have a rotten smell.

Cf. poetic translation by Alexander Shaumyan (ref
above):

And like dead bees within a hive deserted,
Lifeless words give off a foul smell.

As to the "silent Yule" in Minick's translation
as well as the other textual liberties, -- the
most ironic interpretation would be that tha
translator confused "ulej" (hive) with "Yule".
Seriously though, I think that this in fact was
an attempt at a poetic translation, which does
not have to be literally close to the original,
and I don't think I am in a position to judge how
successful it was.

Finally, in Minick's defence, I believe, the
"sink" in the phrase "So dead words sink" is a
typo and should read as "stink".

http://max.mmlc.northwestern.edu/~mdenner/Demo/texts/swallow.html