RE: [xmca] 'Psychology of Art' and 'Literature and Revolution'

From: Stetsenko, Anna <AStetsenko who-is-at gc.cuny.edu>
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 20:25:39 PDT

The complete text of Mandelstam's poem "The Swallow", from Complete Poetry of Osip Emilevich Mandelstam (Sydney, 1973):

What had I wanted to say? I forgot.
The blind swallow flies back to Pluto's palace
on amputated wings, and plays with transparent souls.
Night songs sing in unconsciousness.

But no birds sing. Flowering evergreens aren't in
flower.
Night's horses have transparent manes.
An empty canoe drifts in the dry river.
The grasshoppers' password is: be unconscious.

Growing, slowly, like a tent, a temple,
now throwing itself to the side, suddenly, like mad
Antigone, now like a dead swallow throwing itself
at your feet with Stygian tenderness and a green branch.

Oh, if I could give back the shame of sensate
fingers, the shameful joy of knowing.
Niobes' tears terrify me,
and the fog, the ringing, the gaping opening.

And men can love, men can know,
even sound pours itself into their fingers,
but I forgot what I want to say
and the unbodied thought goes back to the palace of ghosts.

That transparent thought keeps repeating the wrong thing,
keeps fluttering like a swallow, my friend, Antigone. . .
and echoes of Stygian ringing
burn on her lips, black like ice.
There is also a footnote about swallow which explains a lot: "The swallow is one of the topoi in Mandelstams'poetry -- Procne, who has her tongue cut out for the sake of her sister Philomea, who was then turned into a nightingale, as Procne was turned into a swallow. For Mandelastam the swallow is sometimes the gift of sacrifice, sometimes the gift of the word."

I came across this source a while ago, while reading a beautiful essay by Mark Willis "A Word is the Search for It: Vygotsky, Mandelstam, and the Renewal of Motive". One of the best on the topic, really excellent.
Enjoy.