Re: [xmca] the young person and their fate

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 31 2007 - 09:48:49 PDT

Andy-- There is a literature about this topic. By chance I have been reading
about
Hegel's life trajectory as well and the standard story is similar to what
you lay out.
You ask:
aren't
we all still trying to achieve the same things we wanted when we were
young? Doesn't a look into someone's youthful ideals tell us something
about what they are driving at in their later, more nuanced and mature work?

I think it would be helpful if you took some sort of starting point, such
as, the teenage
years about which there is an enormous literature on idealization associated
with
cognitive change. Erik Erikson, Joseph Adelson, Vygotsky..........

Hegel certainly appears to be a LOT more conservative in his old age, not to
say
reactionary. So the challenge will be how his life experience change the
manifestation
of an early-set of ideals, if that is what you want to argue.
mike