Re: [xmca] The Chinese Room

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 03:27:21 PDT

Funnily enough, the Chinese Room was on the radio on Saturday. Searle was
very proud of this conundrum of his, claiming it generated 60 papers in
learned journals trying to refute it. But to be fair, I think it is
intended as a "thought experiment'' to demonstrate an ontological problem,
i.e., that valid processing of symbols says nothing about *meaning*. I
accept that it does that. My only beef with Searle on this was that I think
the Turing test is such a load of hog-wash it doesn't deserve to be taken
seriously. This stuff is just providing an excuse for highly paid academics
to pass the time of day playing games. But I don't take the Chinese Room as
a metaphor for the brain. It is a direct response to Turing's claim that
there is no essential difference between a suffering human being and a
computer, both being symbol processing input-output devices. And Searle
says: "no, this obviously isn't the case" by putting a person inside the
input-output device.

I am convinced that measurement of reaction time, or "thinking time" is a
valid way of comparing tasks and proving that task A must have something in
addition to task (A+B) is task (A+B) takes longer. It is a very simplistic
analytical tool, but I can't find fault with it.

What brain-body (or brain-matter) dualism is about is that they say: "for
every thought, there is and must be a corresponding state of the neurons in
the brain. A thought is in fact nothing other than a brain-state." This
means that all problems of human society can be transformed from problems
about human thoughts and feeling, ideas, theories, etc., and their
consequences, into problems about the relation of brain states to
everything else. Since brain states are physical systems obedient to the
laws of physics, like everything else in the world, they claim that
Cartesianism is eliminated as everything is now part of a single system
obedient to the laws of physics (and chemistry, biology, etc., etc.) It is
key to this approach that there is a one-t-one relation between a brain
state and a state of consciousness, irrespective of anything happening with
the sense organs or somatic senses, or in the external world, which might
be active as a cause or effect. IMHO, the Archilles heel of this approach
is Free Will. If thoughts are nothing other than an alternative description
of the state of a body obedient to the laws of physics, there is no room
for Free Will. Try as you might, accept this form of dualism, and free will
is an illusion.

Recently I read Damassio, and his book was a classic of this genre, despite
his touchy-feely variation on the theme. Just like the Artificial
Intelligence people used to say that the computer which could think was
just around the corner, these people always claim that the discovery of the
homunculus is just around the corner (even while pouring scorn on the very
idea). Damassio was happy to report that we were only a year or two away
from finding where Mr. Homunculus is watching that "movie-in-the-brain"
(his phrase).

Andy