Re: [xmca] Against Narrativity!?!

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 01:28:44 PDT

Buddhism would certainly seem to challenge to idea of a narrativist ethics,
but Buddhism also claims that the Ego is an illusion, which is a kind of
backhanded support for the idea that the self is built through narrative,
and while there is a great deal of emphasis on living in the immediate
moment, non-reflectively, this is situated within a grand narrative about
reincarnation, which is after all, a narrative to end all narratives.

Tom Dooley and episodes: Tom Dooley is certainly narrative In my view. The
fact that the whole story is not told in the song is a strongly narrative
device because it implies that there is a reason that Tom Dooley is to die
(I think I've heard it actually, somewhere) and invites the listener to
imagine their own story. Likewise many others in this genre, which
presuppose narrative.

Totalising: many filmmakers, novelists, dramatists have had fun
demonstrating that many stories can be made from the same events, so
narrative is totalising only in the Sartrean sense of making sense of
oneself, not in the Lukacsian sense of wrapping up world history. The
postmodernist or poststructuralist allegation that all totalisation and
narrative is necessarily exclusionary and dominating annoys me. Any story
can of course be taken dogmatically as being the only true telling of the
events, but that is not something to do with narrative, it's to do with
dogmatism.

Yes?
Andy