Re: [xmca] NYTimes.com article: Seeing No Progress, Some Schools Drop Laptops

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 09:05:01 PDT

It was Carol Emerson, Bakhtin scholar, who first used the term "conversation
with the future" in connection with Vygotsky, Paul. Peg Griffin and I wrote
about this in an article called
"Current activity for the future" and these ideas are being developed
locally by Beth Ferholt and researchers associated with LCHC in one way or
another working in the domain of play.

Yrjo has asked "when is a tool"? We are asking questions like "what
actions/activities are tools
for (remembering their inherent polyvalence/polysemy)." Some very expert
teachers (both in use of laptops in conventional ways and in pedagogically
sophisticated ways) are involved
in laptop classroom research.

Some of them are connected to XMCA. I hope we hear more voices reflecting
more aspects of the problem and potential ways to think about it.
mike