Re: [xmca] intersubjectivity, deception, perhaps also theory of mind

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 22:15:51 PDT

The position Maine de Biran took is this: he recognized an original
sphere of existence, which is that of subjectivity; the conception in
a phenomenological ontology is that the being of this subjectivity
reveals itself as identical to the ego... and other things.

Not all is cultural construction; this is a misconception, which I
think Marx also points out. There is an originary subjectivity, which
precedes identity, reflexive knowledge, etc. The typical problem of
Anglo-Saxon scholarship is to reduce everything to rationality. Trouble.

There is subjectivity prior to all construction---kids even prior to
seeing themselves as separate, prior to making distinctions between
their perspective and those of others, prior to seeing themselves as
separate from others and world, DO experience themselves.

Maine de Biran set himself up against Descartes, which I see being
followed even in our CHAT community.

:-)

Michael