Re: [xmca] Analyses of gesture & speech

From: Phil Chappell <philchappell who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 18:26:56 PDT

Baldry and Thibault's work, which Jay Lemke alludes to, offers
methodological ideas that I find really useful in classroom
"discourse" analysis. They cite four criteria for attributing
semiotic significance on a particular bodily act.

1. Semiotic significance of a particular part of the body involved in
the act. Facial gestures usually involve semiosis of affect; spatial
distance with power and hierarchy (social); and posture with personal
defence.

2. Bodily action links cross-modally with other semiotic aspects of
the discourse event/activity, such that meaning is created on the
basis of these co-contextualising relations.

3. Such bodily actions are ascribed the status of dialogic acts
rather than behvioural units. The authors use the gesture of smiling
here to show a syntagmatic relation of Bodily Act^Response to Bodily
Act - a dialogic exchange relation.

4. A bodily act can function as a semiotic feature having semantic
commonalities (Jay's covariate semantic relationships) across
modalities within the same discourse event/activity..."formally
distinct events elements in a text are linked on the basis of their
belonging to a common semantic class" (p. 179). This would equate to
cohesion if doing a purely linguistic analysis of the event. I'm
finding it an incredibly interesting lens through which to gaze at
classroom video/audio-taped data.

Of course, the book goes much farther than this, with sections on
analysing web pages and film texts and genres.

Baldry, & Thibault 2006, Multimodal transcription and text analysis:
a multimedia toolkit and coursebook, Equinox, Oakville, CT.

Cheers,

Phil