[xmca] Toward an International Chat Course

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 02 2007 - 13:46:34 PDT

Dear Xmca-o-naughts;

I have been investigating ways to get an international CHAT course going. A
number of you have indicated your
interests in some sort of course with video and discussion/chat capacities.
Here is where things stand. It would be
helpful to have your feedback about what problems/potentials you see in this
picture and what you would like to see
changed.

1. The Helsinki Dev Work Research group has powerpoint and mp3 recordings
of a number of talks that would make
up a whole course. They are also ready to create pdf files of readings.

2. Here at UCSD it appears that we can store digital video files and also
streamed lectures. This means that we can
mix real time lectures/seminars that involve more than one institution,
simultaneously have people are viewing ask questions
and then have non-real time blog/threaded discussions.

Below are the technical specifications for the high end, streaming,
multi-site discussion version of this line of activity.
My original idea was to have various of you give lectures that could be
streamed live and stored here. Helsinki is
clearly ready to do that. But there are, hopefully, voices to be heard from
many corners of the globe. Could those
of you interested in GENERATING a lecture, either for real time presentation
or non-real time digital video please email
me, marco pereira from helsinki and howard laurence, our local UCSD tech
guru. Perhaps ensemble, we could be a
tech organizing group as well as content producing group.

In effect, we will have a repository of lectures and materials that any of
you can mix and match on your own schedules.
We can also coordinate in time to the extent desired/feasible which we
really do not understand yet.

So here come the tech details for the higher end stuff. At the same time,
remember, lower tech level materials
will also be available. It all looks very promising although lots of
questions remain.

mike

---------

*Equipment. *

Far sites must have standards based IP H.323, H.264, or ISDN H.320 capable
equipment. Note: H.320 ISDN transmission is charged per minute.

*Far site is responsible for dialing into host (UCSD) site if this (ISDN)
 transmission method is used *

It is highly recommended that the following brand of equipment is used for a
successful two way interactive conference. Polycom, Tandberg, Sony.

Conferences will normally default to a 384k bandwidth unless otherwise
arrranged.

For viewing IP stream only of the interactive session Real Player software
is necessary.

 http://www.www-real-player.com/?gclid=CJq4_MrH7YsCFRFBhgod7TWSOA

Dial in via phone only into interactive conference is available for up to
(1) site. Number to dial in is 858-534-7702

Archived versions of the live interactive class is available to view 3 hours
after of actual live session.

It is highly recommended that a test with host site (UCSD) be setup and
arranged prior to actual conference(minimum 72 hours). Please contact Mary
Gibsen at mgibsen@ucsd.edu or 858-534-8265 for arrangements.

IP number to dial in UCSD Host videoconference site is 128.54.72.251

ISDN dial up number is 858-812-3799

Technical assistance during conference or test is 858-534-7701

Please note all noted times are based on Pacific Daylight Time/Pacific
Standard Times

Please refer to host conference web site for more info:
http://mediacenter.ucsd.edu/dl_mgr.cfm or contact Mary Gibsen,
mgibsen@ucsd.edu or Howard Laurence hlaurence@ucsd.edu