Re: [xmca] B.V. Belyayev

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 20:30:10 PDT

This is a difficult medium for serious discourse in one language, David.
In several its really tough. Part of my motivation for exercise of extreme
patience and caution, advice
I do not always follow.

I will try to get Russian copy of Belyaev. Doing seminar with grad students
at Moscow State U tomorrow and will ask for help.

Vygotsky was for sure in Central Asia, but not when Luria was there. Before.
The syllogism experiments were motivated by prior research
on rural russian by a woman whose name i do not recall. Perhaps Anton can
recover the ref from memory. The entire project is clearly rooted in marxist
philosophical anthropology
at least in the sense that Jim Wertsch puts it as "cross-cultural
research=cross-historical research" for LSV, ARL et al. There are some
interesting
articles in Soviet Psych and JREEP on this issue as viewed by Russians
pro/con (as is true elsewhere).

This is not a matter of purely "historical" interest. The latest issue of
New Yorker has a fascinating article on the Piraha of Western Paraguay who
it is claimed (various articles in science, etc, but this is new yorker) to
not have recursion as feature of their language. Whoa!!
mike

ps-- Pictures but not text so far as i can tell at newyorker.com unless you
wish to pay a buck for an issue.