Re: [xmca] B.V. Belyayev

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 11 2007 - 17:13:03 PDT

Certainly sounds worth digging into more, David. I have written to one of
the Russian colleagues Anton suggested to see if we could get Russian
versions of the text (are 1959 and 61 the
same? I was going from the Russian website?).

We badly need the Russian text in this case because from the translation it
is completely unclear to me what the Russian words are for
teaching-education and instruction. If
we can get the Russian texts, perhaps we can sort things out.

I have questions about what it means for the mediation link of translation
to be removed. How does this occur? In children who are raised bilingual
from birth? Or who have achieved some
identifiable level of bilingual/culturalism?

Do you have a reference to Vygotsky's work in Uzbekistan? I have only read
reports
that he was there but not seen what he wrote and argued about it. (I am
especially interested in the issue of how one establishes functional
equivalence across contexts, when, whatever one's understanding of context,
culture and language variations are simultaneously involved). Its an issue I
have struggled with, never to my satisfaction, for a long time.

mike