Re: [xmca] Classrooms as Rock Gardens

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 19:49:43 PDT

David --

My rock pile comment was actually in response to a combination of your
comment: "I was being conciliatory by changing the subject, Mike. Frankly, I
think the Gopnik piece is a study in projection and consequently
anachronism. I don't think that Voltaire's love of gardening makes him a
conservative bourgeois in his social outlook. In those days, being bourgeois
was not particularly conservative, and had little to do with gardening. "
and Paul's comment, that

I read the article and while it seemed so New Yorker and cutesy (Spiro Agnew
echoing about effete whatevers) I was really dismayed by the entire string
of claims that included (I paraphrase) '' most of us find globalism the
best of all possible worlds" . Is that really the case? Do most of us
(who's that?) believe that global corporate domination <=> globalism is the
best of all possible worlds. How about "small is beautiful", a much more
gardenlike metaphor. Perhaps humanity at the horticultural stage, pre-large
scale crop stuff, was nobler. Probably more enjoyable no matter what the
globalists say about life in the city is pretty.
I simply did not know where to take the conversation in a fruitful way. Had
I read more carefully, perhaps I would have been more creative and
productive.

I was (incorrectly and egocentrically) assuming that people were familiar
with my own use of the garden metaphor which some are and some aren't and
some think useful, perhaps,
and others do not. Not a good idea to make such assumptions in such a
diverse group.

Paul, from his position, saw the article I forwarded as being pro
globalization. I, myopically, was interested in the garden metaphor as I
have used it and as it was reflected, interestingly
in my view, in the Gopnik article, but particuarly in the Subbotsky
highlighting. But Paul and Eugene end up, it seems to me, coming to similar
conclusions in so far as they actually engage each other. I need to
reconsider that.

Along with you, I believe that most classrooms in the US are rock piles not
gardens in my sense of the term. I do not work in afterschool settings by
accident.

As to the possibility of zones of proximal development under capitalism,
perhaps Lois wishes to comment. The Soviets appeared unable to create them
routinely and those
who championed such ideas were not heavily rewarded for their efforts, if
they were allowed to live at all. There are important issues to be discussed
here, but not, in my
opinion, by dueling with each other, being petulant with each other, nor by
simply ignoring what we disagree with. If the razor's edge cuts, as it does,
so be it. Then lets
look for bandages and alternative routes.

As to attributions of petulance, liberalism, and so on, my own view is that
such attributions are (also?) not productive. I confess that I shy away from
rabid animals. I find them dangerous. Radical or not.

Sorry about my proclivity to promoting open mindedness and graciousness on
this list and I regret when I fail to live up to my own standards. I fear
that some of my comments in
recent weeks regarding the MCA article under discussion were insufficiently
open minded or gracious and that I drove away valued colleagues as a result.
It would not be the first
time.

Lets hear what others have to say, about the interesting issues that you and
Paul and I have raised in the hopes that they have something to say. If not,
then being silent ourselves is almost certainly the best policy.
mike