Re: [xmca] Gardeners and Tram Drivers

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Apr 01 2007 - 09:07:11 PDT

Gopnik and Voltaire were considering the garden metaphor in a different
context, David. Involving both the (contemporary social) ecology and process
of promoting development with the garden walls.
But the direction you are taking is certainly interesting and relevant as
well.

Yes, LSV didn't like to reduce humans to botany. And in this I totally
agree. I also hear a strong echo of Luria concerning the impossibility of
person exerting sans mediating instrument than a shadow carrying stones. I
think my use of the metaphor in my own work would pass their scrutiny, but
perhaps not. Certainly the focus is on environmental organization, not
on acting directly on the kids exclusively. (Although, a la the basic
mediational triangle, I think that there is always a double orientation, to
the environment and the child-ren).

I certainly feel the tension you discuss in my own work organizing
afterschool activities. And its so rare and satisfying when just the right
coordinations emerge, transforming the object of activity in a manner that
induces co-positive-emotions.

Thanks for the citations of Educational Psychology which I have paid
insufficient attention to.
mike