[xmca] Introduction & PhD. assistantships announcement

From: Michael A. Evans (mae@vt.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2007 - 07:40:48 PST

Dear All,

This is my first post to the list, so Mike asked that I introduce myself...

Currently, I teach in the Instructional Design & Technology Program in the
School of Education at Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, USA)...my current crop of
courses includes Multimedia & Cognition, Instructional Multimedia Design &
Development, and Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL)...in each
of these courses, particularly the CSCL course, I draw from the work of
scholars in the semiotic tradition including Pierce, Dewey & Vygotsky...

My current research investigates the interrelationships of constructionist
pedagogy (i.e., knowledge-building), social organization (e.g.,
collaborative problem-solving), and instructional artifact (e.g., virtual
manipulatives) in the early elementary (PreK-3) classroom...Iıd be happy to
hear from others who have similar or tangential interests and hope that I
can contribute likewise...

In relation to my introduction, Iım forwarding an announcement regarding
open assistantships for new Ph.D. students in our program for Fall 2007...if
you know of someone who might be interested, I would appreciate your passing
this along...please find the announcement below the signature...donıt
hesitate to contact me if you have additional questions...

Looking forward to participating on the list!
Michael~

--
Michael A. Evans

***Graduate Assistantships Announcement***

The Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) program at Virginia Tech is pleased to announce a number of graduate assistantship opportunities for new doctoral student applicants. We are seeking the most highly qualified applicants to fill these assistantship positions as students in a rigorous, well established, and highly respected IDT doctoral program. To qualified candidates who continue to make adequate yearly progress in the degree program, the Virginia Tech IDT program offers: 1) Three years of graduate assistantship funding*

2) Assistantship assignments enabling doctoral students to develop knowledge and skills in key IDT areas such as: - Distance learning - Faculty development and support in technology integration - Funded IDT research projects

3) Generous travel funding for participation in IDT-related conferences (In recent years, $800 per year per student for presentations; $300 per year per student for attendance) Act now! For Fall 2007 admission, applications are due no later than June 15, 2007. Interested applicants should review the following Web links for more information about the Virginia Tech IDT doctoral program and for admission requirements: IDT doctoral program information: http://www.soe.vt.edu/idt/programs.htm IDT doctoral program admission requirements: http://www.soe.vt.edu/idt/doctoral/admissions.htm After reviewing these Web sites, qualified applicants may seek additional information concerning admission to the IDT doctoral program by contacting:

Dr. Barb Lockee IDT Program Area Leader (540) 231-9193 lockeebb@vt.edu

*Successful candidates will receive a stipend and full tuition for the academic year. Graduate assistants are expected to work 20 hours per week and can hold no other outside employment.