RE: [xmca] Question

From: David H Kirshner (dkirsh@lsu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2007 - 07:36:35 PST

Here are some citations re Mike's suggestions, along with some others.
Note, that the Schmittau reference is to a full special issue of the
journal devoted to sociocultural implications for math ed.

        Schmittau, J. (1993). Vygotskian scientific concepts:
Implications for mathematics education. In J. Schmittau & L. Taylor,
(Eds.), Focus on Learning Problems in Mathematics, 15(2,3), 29-39.

        Kieran, C., Forman, E., & Sfard, A. (Eds.) (2002). Learning
discourse: Discursive approaches to research in mathematics education.
Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.

        Brown, C. A., Stein, M. K., & Forman, E. A. (1996). Assisting
teachers and students to reform the mathematics classroom. Educational
Studies in Mathematics, 31, 63-93.

        Forman, E. A. (1996). Learning mathematics as participation in
classroom practice: Implications of sociocultural theory for educational
reform. In L. P. Steffe, P. Nesher, P. Cobb, G. A. Goldin, & B. Greer
(Eds.) Theories of mathematical learning (pp. 115-130). Mahwah, NJ:
Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

        Cobb, P., Wood, T., & Yackel, E. (1993). Discourse, mathematical
thinking, and classroom practice. In E. Forman, N. Minick, & C. A. Stone
(Eds.), Contexts for learning: Sociocultural dynamics in children's
development (pp. 91-119). New York: Oxford University Press.

David Kirshner