[xmca] Socio-Cultural Theory in Educational Research & Practice

From: Valerie Farnsworth (Valerie.Farnsworth@manchester.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 07:12:20 PST

Generator Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium) Dear colleague,
We are emailing to invite you to participate in the 2nd Socio-Cultural Theory in Educational Research & Practice: Theory, Identity and Learning. The conference aims to stimulate debate and to inform understanding of new ways of theorizing the active subject within socio-cultural theory within the context of empirical studies of learning in school and other learning contexts. Apart from the keynote addresses, we do not intend that participants' papers will be presented orally; however, participation in academic debate is very much the ethos of the conference. We see the purpose of the abstracts/papers as being to fuel the discussion, and also to give participants the opportunity to share their ideas with others in a spirit of collegiate collaboration.
The deadline for abstract submission is 15 May and notifications will be sent by 1 June. Early registration fees due before 1 June and a limited number of student bursaries are available.
Scheduled keynote speakers with expertise in sociocultural theory, mathematics education, and science education include:
Landsdowne Professor Wolff-Michael Roth, Applied Cognitive Science, University of Victoria, British Columbia
Professor Anna Sfard, Department of Education, University of Haifa, Israel; Institute of Education, University of London; Division of Science and Mathematics Education, Michigan State University, US
Dr Etienne Wenger, Independent Researcher and Consultant on Communities of Practice
Professor Julian Williams, Learning, Teaching and Assessment, University of Manchester

Venue: University of Manchester
Date: 10-11 September 2007
(starting 10.30am 10th Sept., ending 4:30pm 11th Sept.)
The conference is organised by the Socio-cultural Theory Interest Group (ScTIG), School of Education with support from the British Academy in the form of a British Conference Grant.
Further information on the call for abstracts and booking form are attached. You can find out more about us and the conference via our website www.lta.education.manchester.ac.uk/ScTIG/index.htm

If you experience any problems accessing the website, or have any queries, please email valerie.farnsworth who-is-at manchester.ac.uk.

In addition, in case you think this conference might be of interest to others in your institution, we have attached a poster about the conference. We would be grateful if you would display this prominently somewhere at your institution or forward this email along to others.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.
Dr Valerie Farnsworth, Dr Pauline Davis,
and the Sociocultural Theory Interest Group Conference Committee