Re: [xmca] performance

From: Chuk Moran (chmo.student@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 17:14:26 PST

the book explains that asl was understood as a mix between french sign,
signs practiced already in america (e.g. on martha's vineyard and other
places with more than a few deaf people), and sign 'languages' that are just
translations of enligh. asl was not recognized as its own language until
william stokoe published "sign languaage structure" in 1960. (of course, i'm
sure there was someone before and more people also important after)
it seems impossible now to imagine asl as english (being more closely
related to a sign language connected with french), but it took alot of
change in the culture for deaf people to believe in asl as being its own
language. i think that reality is what camille is writing about when she
says that asl became no longer a translation of english

also the performance discussed most in the book is deaf theater and poetry,
which was given mostly to deaf (and mixed) audiences, but only rarely to
hearing ones. this book is more concerned with deaf people's understanding
of themselves as a Deaf culture.