Re: [xmca] Being and Knowing

From: michael boatright (michaelboatright@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 14:00:21 PST

How would the following quote from an earlier Dewey text dovetail with these
ruminations? "Ruminations" can also mean 'the process of chewing cud.'

"An ounce of experience is better than a ton of theory simply because it is
only in experience that any theory has vital and verifiable significance"
(Dewey, 1916/1985, p. 151).

Dewey, J. (1985). Democracy and education. In J. A. Boydston (Ed.), P. R.
Baysinger & B. Levine (Assoc. Textual Eds.), John Dewey: The middle works,
1899-1924. Vol. 9: Democracy and education, 1916. Carbondale, IL: Southern
Illinois University Press. (Original work published 1916)