Re: [xmca] Monism Is Not Reductionist

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 17:00:36 PST

Martin et al-

A variety of overload problems have kept me out of this discussion and next
week
will be the worst of the lot, so I cannot properly contribute. However, I am
pretty sure
that Martin has not described "the game" correctly when he writes:

The child picks up a
block, a big black circle, and the adult says, thatıs a MUR. Can you find
another?² The child generalizes ­picks another block that appears, to her,
to be a member of the same group, referred to by the same word. A smaller
black circle. The adult says, ³No, thatıs a FIK.²

I refer you to p. 128-129 of the 1987 edition of T&S.

We spent a long time trying to figure out what, exactly, the procedure
actually used in an
individual case might be, and how to standardize along the lines of the
Bruner, Austin, ^& Goodnow
concept formation studies which I was brought up on and which appear, at
first, to be the same
as the procedure described by Martin.

We also tried to get Davydov to show us how it was done, and at the time he
had a grad
student, Yuri Gromyko, who had done a recent study using the blocks. To the
best of my
memory, we never got access to Yuri's thesis (he was in the army at the time
we inquired)
and Davydov did solve for us the problem of standarization.

The crux of the matter is that the adult is more involved than American
concept formation
procedures or Martin's description would suggest.

1. A bunch of blocks are placed on the table, the adult then shows one to
the child along with its
name and puts it in one corner of the table.

2. The child is then asked to place all the objects that he believes belong
with object 1 next to it.

3. After each attempt the adult corrects the child and reveals the name of
an additional object.

Then what? Which object does the adult choose? Note there are lots of
options.

In brief, the adult appears to be an active participant in the process and
it seems as if the
experimenter's choices ought to reveal something about the experimenter's
notion of what the child's concept might be. The adult is trying to figure
out the kid at the same time that the kid is trying to figure out what the
adult has set up in a contingent set of interactions.

Or so it seems.
Does this matter?
mike