RE: [xmca] NYTimes article on ethics panels controlling research

From: Griswold, Olga (ogriswol@humnet.ucla.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 09:31:15 PST

Here is my experience with the IRB at UCLA in the past 6 years (they now have both medical-biological IRB and non-medical-biological - I believe, the total of 5 IRBs working with different research methodologies)

I have done two types of research involving two different data sets - (1) the investigation of naturally occurring language practices in children's neighborhood peer groups in Russia and (2)the investigation of language socialization practices in citizenship classrooms for adult immigrants in the US.

The negative experiences have been rather limited. Actually, I can testify to only one. I was asked to change the wording of consent/assent forms for children, youth, and parents (I had all ages) from active voice to passive, ostensibly to ensure objectivity. The problem of it was that in Russian passive doesn't work in the same way as it does in English, either grammatically (which was not a problem) or on the discourse level (which was). In Russian, a construction equivalent to the English "you will be videotaped" or "you will not be asked to do anything out of the ordinary" sounds eerily like "The Big Brother will be watching your every step, and you won't even know it." It suggests that all agency will be taken away from the research subject. In the light of Russian history, that wasn't a very good approach. I kept the active voice in Russian in my consent/assent forms because I strongly believed - and still do - that the wording I chose was in the best interests of my subjects. It clearly conveyed to them that they could choose whether to participate or not and that they could pull out at any time they wished. I think this is more in line with the *spirit* of human subject protection.

I also found during my first trip to the field (a mid-size industrial town in Western Russia) that not many people were willing to sign consent/assent forms. They were willing to participate, but as soon as I mentioned signed informed consent, they pulled out. One mother told me point blank that she would be glad for her child to be included (the child begged to be allowed to participate), but she would not commit to anything on paper. It would be too long for me to go into the socio-historical reasons for such reluctance, but once I came back to the States and had to apply for the renewal of the IRB approval, I was able to argue successfully (actually, on the suggestion of the chair of the IRB that reviewed my application!) for the replacement of *signed* consent with oral consent. That made so much more sense!

For my dissertation study (citizenship classes), I did all the forms in somewhat simplified language, arguing that my potential subjects may not have very strong English skills to understand overly academic language. In hindsight, I should have argued for oral consent as well. While most people in the classes where I collected my data were more than willing to participate, some were unwilling to sign anything. I was also able to argue for not doing the consent forms in many languages since the people in the community I was studying had to have basic English skills to pass the citizenship test, and that's what they were preparing to do. I had no problem getting the IRB approval for a study exempt from the IRB review (an oxymoron, of course).

The only two objections I have to currently existing IRB regulations are these: First, the IRB insists that we call the people who participate in our research "subjects" rather than "research participants." I much prefer the latter term. The people kind enough to let me into parts of their lives are not lab rats. They contribute much to the research, and I therefore consider them participants. Second, I would prefer not to have to include the phrase "You will not be paid for your participation in this research." It's one thing when you pay your participants. Then the amount and the manner have to be specified. But if you don't pay (and as a grad student, I simply couldn't afford to pay everyone who participated in my ethnographic research of a large community of practice!), why mention the matter at all? As a student of conversation analysis, I have learned long ago that every presence must be accountable: "Why that now?" Incidentally, in my research in Russia, once people read the phrase, some tried to negotiate and "off the books" payment for the participation of their children. Again, one mother said that if other people get paid (that's how she understood the implications of "you will not be paid..."), so should she. But these objections, I believe, are minor and can be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Olga