Re: [xmca] Fwd: social spaces

From: Steve Gabosch (sgabosch@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2007 - 21:09:45 PST

Thanks Jen, your response helps me grasp your perspective. My own
experiences with racism, gender discrimination and class exploitation
have been weighted by working in factories for, believe it or not (I
don't, somehow!) about 30 years, an experience which in turn has been
influenced by my coming of political age in the US youth
radicalization and antiwar movement in the late '60's and early
'70's. I like much of what you say because I like the side you
implicitly take, the side of the oppressed.

I essentially agree with your starting point, to see social spaces as
structured by social class relations. But I find myself wanting to
go a step further, or perhaps, resolve down to a finer level of
detail, and ask what kind of "structures" are we talking
about. Contrasting the two concepts and thinking them over a bit, I
am leaning toward suggesting that the descriptive concept of "social
space" is more of a metaphor for how things appear than it is a
reference to an actual structure. I would contrast the descriptive
concept or metaphor of "social space" to the explanatory concept of
"social class," which does refer to material entities and
structures. I am thinking that a "social space" is more of a useful
abstraction than something tangible, historical, concrete, such as a
social class. In trying to think of "social space" historically and
culturally, I am becoming inclined to see it as more of an analogy
than an entity.

I like the way you use the social space metaphor in your paper to
describe young people that have been marginalized and pushed out of
the school system: "(dis)placed". In general, the geophysical
imagery of "spaces" seems to have the advantage of evoking the
motions of many social entities at once, perhaps competing for the
same "spaces" or "places" in a society, perhaps forcing others to
vacate spaces. As long as it is used carefully, as a form of imagery
and analogy - as a description - the concept "social space" seems
like a useful tool to depict events and behaviors and other social
processes, particularly on the individual level.

The distinction between description and explanation I am making
attempts to follow Ilyenkov's theory, following Marx, of rising from
the abstract to the concrete - that descriptions are abstractions
(specific, particular, phenomenological), while scientific
(explanatory) concepts aim at being concrete (general, historical,
developmental).

I am not at all suggesting that description is inferior to
explanation, by the way - the two are mutually essential, in my
view. But they are also not the same. Perhaps I could turn my
thoughts here into a question for you - do you see the concept of
"social space" more or less as a metaphorical description of lived
experience - comparable, for example, to the metaphor of being
marginalized - or do you see it as an explanatory concept referring
to a material entity - comparable, for example, to the concept of
social class? Or as something else ... ?

Best,
~ Steve