Re: [xmca] soznanie/osoznanie

From: Ed Wall (ewall@umich.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 20:02:12 PST

Martin

    I don't happen to think so (this is Anne Rawls' gloss). I do know
that, in this book and at the time it was written, Garfinkel was
trying to distance himself somewhat from pragmatism and
phenomenology. I think what Rawls (and Garfinkel) may be trying to
say here is that getting into such discussions is, from Garfinkel's
perspective, a mistake (which doesn't mean it is wrong) since for him
what is primary is, to quote you here, the "incorporation of natural
entities into social practices that enables them to present
themselves to us *as* objects of a particular kind." In any case, I
was wondering whether what ethnomethodologists are up to could be
considered contemporary empirical research in the sense Mike asked it.
    Oh, my interest in enthomethodology is largely because it has,
more or less, the structure of a third person phenomenology (I'm sure
Garfinkel would object to such a characterization) and I've been
thinking for awhile about what a third person hermeneutic
phenomenology would look like (Ihde seems to address this somewhat).

Ed