[xmca] Kenneth Burke, Identity/Identification, CHAT

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@UDel.Edu)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 11:11:21 PST

Reviewing some favorite passages from Burke, I find this one that I think
is astonishing in its independently corroborative insights re: CHAT:

http://curricublog.org/2007/02/14/burke-id/

It includes an illustrative classroom scenario that is a bit disturbing,
in context.

Here's the text of my post, but a cleaner format is available through the
link above:

Kenneth Burke, identity / identification, Activity Theory

While I’m at it with Kenneth Burke, here’s another favorite passage , on
“identification,” illustrated with a provocative, if not downright
disturbing, classroom scenario.

Included in the two pages linked above, Burke writes:

     The human agent, qua human agent, is not motivated solely by the
principles of a specialized activity, however strongly this specialized
power, in its suggestive role as imagery, may affect his character. Any
specialized activity participates in a larger unit of action.
“Identification” is a word for the autonomous activity’s place in this
wider context, a place with which the agent may be unconcerned. The
shepherd, qua shepherd, acts for the good of the sheep, to protect them
from discomfiture and harm. But he may be “identified” with a project that
is raising the sheep for market.

     Of course, the principles of the autonomous activity can be considered
irrespective of such identifications. Indeed, two students, sitting side
by side in a classroom where the principles of a specialized subject are
being taught, can be expected to “identify” the subject differently, so
far as its place in a total context is concerned. Many of the most
important identifications for the specialty will not be established at
all, until later in life, when the specialty has become integrally
interwoven with the particulars of one’s livelihood . The specialized
activity itself becomes a different thing for one person, with whom it is
a means of surrounding himself with family and amenities, than it would be
for another who, unmarried, childless, loveless, might find in the
specialty not so much a means to gratification as a substitute for lack of
gratification.

I don’t know how deliberate was the contiguity of the shepherd/sheep
example with the classroom scenario; but I am struck by the independently
corroborative insights.

What do you think?

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education