Re: [xmca] Fwd: social spaces

From: Jennifer Vadeboncoeur (vadebonc@interchange.ubc.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2007 - 17:37:45 PST

Mike!

Yes, thanks for that query. In this piece we began with the physical
and were writing/thinking through what other forms of "space" might
look like. Space that is constituted by or produced in human
activity, social practices, and discursive practices, for example,
that would help us describe and explain our research.

The concepts that are central to our work - social, cultural, and
historical - are in my mind, though I have taken up and used "social
practices" more than "cultural practices" or "historical practices,"
perhaps out of force of habit. I see this tendency in Harvey,
Lefebvre, and Soja's work - that is, to talk about the social moreso
than the cultural, though in saying that, I pause, because Harvey, in
particular, emphasizes the historical alongside the social production
of space.

So, when I read the term "social," as in "social construction of
knowledge," I read it as a process that is at once social, cultural,
and historical. I read it as mediated, semiotic, embodied. I
appreciate your point; that others may not read it this way.

Sociocultural, cultural historical, sociohistorical, cultural? How
are other folks managing this?

Best - jennifer