RE: [xmca] soznanie/osoznanie, or, the fish and the water

From: SungWon Hwang (swhwang@uvic.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2007 - 15:35:09 PST

Hi David,
My sense is that jigak is somewhat like perception rather than
consciousness. Anyway, translating one word to another without context does
not seem to make good sense at all. From my experiences of writing and
talking about CHAT in Korean, I find it makes much better sense to use
different Korean words for one English word.
SungWon

Alzheimer¡¯s. But I
> don¡¯t think it really tells us very much about how people are thinking
about
> consciousness.
>
> In Korean, there are two words for ¡°consciousness¡± and they both come
from
> Chinese. Of course that doesn¡¯t mean that when Koreans use these words
they
> are thinking in Chinese (any more than when we say ¡°consciousness¡± we
are
> thinking in Latin, Greek, or Sanskrit). It means that when Koreans use
this word
> they do not want their interlocutors to think they mean an every day,
pedestrian
> concept; they want to make it clear that they are not talking about likes
and dislikes,
> pet peeves, passing thoughts, gut feelings, or fleeting perceptions.
>
> I think that it's slightly more useful to look at structure (along the
lines of ¡°con-
> scienci-ous-ness¡±. In Korean, the two words are ji-gak (in Chinese,
zi-jue) and oui-
> shik (in Chinese yi-zhi). Both are compounds, that is, two-syllable
combinations
> where each syllable can stand alone (and often does in the very spare and
concise
> language that is literary Chinese) but usually co-occurs with some other
word, often
> a near synonym. The relationship is something like the two parts of the
word
> ¡°because¡±; ¡°be¡± and ¡°cause¡± CAN stand alone in English, but they
mean
> something rather different (though not totally different) when we put them
together.

> ¡°Jigak¡±, or ¡°zi-jue¡± means ¡°self-feel¡±, and ¡°oui-shik¡± or
¡°yi-zhi¡± means
> means ¡°will-know¡±). Again, this doesn¡¯t mean that when Koreans or
Chinese
> use these words they are thinking of ¡°self-feeling¡± or ¡°the will to
knowledge¡±
> (any more than when you say ¡°because¡± you are really thinking something
like
> ¡°and let this be considered the cause¡¦¡±). When they use these words,
they mean
> ¡°consciousness,¡± as surely as the baby who raises his or her arms means
¡°pick
> me up.¡±
>
> The problem is not what they mean, but HOW do they mean it. I think that
they
> "consciousness" by deliberately selecting an expression that is not going
to be
> interpreted as an every day word. The Chinese origin is part of this, just
as the Latin
> origin of ¡°science¡± is part of the interpretation of that word.
>
> A somewhat bigger part of the interpretation is the structure of the
expression,
> which suggests ¡®metacognition¡± in both cases (¡°the feeling of a
feeler¡± and the
> ¡°willing of knowing¡±). But the main way they mean this is neither
etymology nor
> structure, but rather context, and in this we are all like Vera¡¯s baby.
>
> There is a difference though. The difference is that when I use an
expression like
> ¡°jigak¡± or ¡°yizhi¡± or ¡°consciousness¡± you know to look in the
co-text in order to
> CREATE the context in which the word is used for yourself. If I say
¡°this¡± or
> ¡°that¡± or even ¡°like¡± or ¡°hate¡± and nothing else, you really have to
look around
> to see what I mean (and if I do this on an e-mail chat list you are really
out of luck).
> Whereas, if I say ¡°self-feeling¡± or ¡°will to knowledge¡± or
¡°consciousness¡±, you
> may not know exactly what I am talking about, but you will at least know
better than
> to look around the room in order to find out.
>
> Yes, I think that is the real reason why all languages (that I know) use
foreign
> language words in order to refer to scientific concepts. I also suspect
that this is
> why successful bilinguals do better in maths, and why aging bilinguals
have better
> back-up systems for thinking with when the primary circuits start to go on
the
> fritz.On the one hand, bilinguals are used to looking in texts for answers
rather than
> looking at facial expressions or looking around the room. On the other,
they are
> capable of REVERSING the normal way of thinking (from context to text)
when it