Re: [xmca] Harried instructor seeks words of wisdom

From: Martin Packer (packer@duq.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 18:36:16 PST

Vera,

I would certainly be interested in hearing more about the distinctions
you're making between responsiveness, awareness and consciousness.

To add to the (my) confusion, digging through my notes I've come across the
following note by translator Norris Minick in Thinking & Speech (p. 388, n.
12):

“By the phrase ‘conscious awareness’ we gloss the Russian osaznanie, which V
carefully and consistently uses and distinguishes from the term soznanie or
‘consciousness.’ Vygotsky clarifies the difference between the two at
several points in the text… the earlier translation of this volume (…Thought
and language…) rendered both terms as ‘consciousness,’ introducing a
confusion not to be found in the original Russian text.”

The links to neuroscience are very interesting. If I understand it
correctly, Vygotsky's psychology was the study of consciousness and
physiology (the material basis of consciousness). The division of labor that
developed between Vygotsky and Luria speaks to this, I think. Modern
neuroscience too often wants to treat consciousness as an epiphenomenon, but
Vygotsky clearly viewed it as having a purpose: it has evolved because it
serves an important function. After my last message I recalled Vygotsky's
insistence that consciousness appears when action meets an obstacle. I'm
pretty confident he says this as early as Educational Psychology, and as
late as T&S, but I can't track down specific citations at this moment. And
this links to David's comments about volition. Consciousness occurs when our
prereflective action is blocked, and we must deliberate, look around, and
consider alternatives. A two-way link to volition: Cs arises from practical
activity, and serves to reorganize that activity. Cs gives us the will to do
what is hard to do, what needs to be done, what at first grasp seems
impossible to do.

And while I'm cutting and pasting from my notes, this is from the last pages
of Educational Psychology:

“Man has set himself the goal of becoming master of his own feelings, of
lifting the instincts to the heights of consciousness and making them
transparent, of stretching the thread of will into what is concealed and
into the underground, and to thereby lift himself up to a new stage, to
create a ‘higher’ sociociological type, a, so to speak, super-man.” 351

None of this gives my students a *definition* of consciousness. But perhaps
one has to be satisfied with a *history* of it, a story that describes how
it comes into being and then departs again.

Martin