RE: [xmca] Action Research and its relationship to SCHAT - Whiggism?

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@ehe.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2007 - 05:58:51 PST

Andy, David, others,

The invocation of moral relativism makes one really big assumption - that morality can and should exist as an object outside of a human's relationship to nature, and that morality should somehow stand outside of our activity and act as a commentator, a sort of Greek chorus, on our actions, and therefore guide our actions. Where does this grand scheme of "morality" come from, and how do we determine its validity.

The reason you have to assume morality as an object in order to make the relativism object is because it is dependent on perspective and content. Basically what you are saying is that morality is a thing that exists in the universe, again separate from the actual actions of humans in attempting to adapt to circumstances, and that relativists are attempting it changes as the relationships around you change. To give an example of how this works with an object, say I am sitting in a car and nothing is moving around me. I am moving very slowly (objects are always in motion), but I don't realize it because relative to other objects I am not moving at all. Suddenly a car moves in the direction opposite I am moving in, then I get the relative sensation of moving forward, because my state is relative to the other objects around me. Now let's try and make this argument with morality. I have a moral code that suggests that I should not steal. That moral code follows me around and acts as a commentator on my actions, keeping me from stealing (I know this is very basic, but otherwise is would get too complicated). So let us say I enter a situation where everybody around me is stealing a large amount, that stealing is considered part of the culture. From a relativist perspective what is happening is that because the other objects around me are changing (the moral codes of the individuals around me), that means that my moral code is going to change. Same basic argument, but again it is dependent on a bunch of suppositions, the two most important being that morality is an object, and as an object is guides my actions.

But might it be better to see morality as a process, integrated in to our relationship with nature, integrated in to all the other actions that we do, with the same quality as all other actions that we do (in other words our moral actions are not part of a separate category). Our moral actions are attempts to reach ends-in-view that make our community a better place. You see the situation, you take in to account as many variables as possible, you make an inferences about what would be the best possible consequence in that situation, and then you develop a behavioral trajectory to achieve those consequences. Most important, if you have not achieved your desired consequences then your action has failed as a moral action, no matter what you intentions. That doesn't make you immoral, it just means that you have to go back to the drawing board. There is no relativism because there is no morality outside of the actions that you are taking, there is no object.

Michael