RE: [xmca] FW: NCTEAR

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@uga.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2007 - 03:20:18 PST

Just two perhaps small points in relation to Jay's remarks:

The "master writes, slave reads" analogy is historically wrong in terms of
the US slave system, in which slaves were often brutally punished for
learning to read--a problem that many believe has had persistent effects on
African Americans' literacy.

The idea that "if it's not online, it doesn't exist" assumes that everyone
has access to technology, but that seems to assume that the many people in
the US who live in deep poverty are using the web to shop, exchange emails,
and so on. One problem I've had with the multiliteracies work is that it
assumes that everyone is above the poverty level, which just isn't true.

Peter