[xmca] Culturally relevant curriculum and overall school performance

From: Paul Dillon (phd_crit_think@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2007 - 11:38:33 PST

Recently I was asked to help develop curriculum to enhance "regional identity" here in the central Peruvian highlands. The idea is that the local Quechua-Spanish culture has for years (centuries really) been the subject of derision and cultural exclusion within the national cultural framework, and correspondingly the educational system, should be in fact strengthened. This initiative comes out of some recent decentralization measures within the Peruvian national education code that allow 30% of the primary and secondary school curriculum to be developed by decentralized local and regional education offices, on one hand, and the efforts of NGOs working in the area.

  I am looking for anything that has been done on this. I remember a session I attended at the 1999? Montreal AERA meetings in which some wonderful work was presented concerning the implementation of culturally relevant reading materials in predominantly Chicano/Mexican American schools in the U.S. Southwest (Arizona?). The stories in the readers were drawn from the traditions of the Chicano/Mexican-American people whose kids were in the schools and the improved outcomes in composition and comprehension were presented. But I don't remember any names except that it was part of a session in which the "Aula Magica" experience was also discussed.

  Can any of you who are knowledgeable in this area of culturally relevant curriculum direct me to some good sources, hopefully on line?

  Thanks,

  Paul Dilln